We have all been using tube amps since the beginning to make music clear and louder. Despite how old the tube amps are, most of us avoid using them due to the rumors. If you are also looking for the answer, are tube amps dangerous, you land in the right place.
Tube amps are not dangerous, but they hold high voltage around 500-700 volts (AC and DC) that can kill a person. The high voltage also increases the temperature, which can burn your hands when not handled with care.
If tube amps were dangerous, they would not sell publically for years. But this doesn’t mean you can play safely around the tube amps!
Some internal components of the tube amps are potent enough to zap you severely. Ensure you are not taking the situation lightly and using the tube amps properly.
That was the one-line answer to the question, but there is much more to find out about the story. Do you want to know how to use tube amps safely without getting hurt? Stay connected for an in-depth discussion.
Are Tube Amps Dangerous – Is It Safe to Touch Red Glowing Amp Tubes?
No matter how fascinating the red glowing amp tubes look, you should care about yourself. Returning to the old days: The traditional light bulbs glow because of the heat. The amp tubes are somehow the same.
Touching the amp tubes with bare hands will result in burning your fingers. The high voltage takes a while to decrease the temperature even when unplugged. Allow the amp tubes to cool down at room temperature before touching or displacing them.
How Hot Can the Amp Tubes Get?
Higher be the voltage, higher be the temperature. At peak voltage of 700-500 volts, the amp tubes can reach up to 250-300 degrees Fahrenheit when glowing red.
When unplugged, the maximum temperature will be around 140 degrees Fahrenheit- still dangerous to touch the bare hand. One thing to mention here; this recorded temperature is external. The internal temperature will be even higher.
Can Amp Tubes Overheat?
Tubes amp overheating cases are rare but possible. The only reason for overheating is something done incredibly off-beam.
With proper ventilation and use, tube amps never overheat. Yet, covering the head with a cloth will block the ventilation. The valves inside produce high voltage- high voltage means high temperature.
The design of amp tubes is to disperse heat continuously without getting overheated. Blocked ventilation will gradually increase the temperature- it might even end up melting.
In case the tube amps overheat, here are some tips for applying and lessening the temperature;
- Unplug the tube amps and let them cool at room temperature.
- Wear gloves and shift the tube to a cooler and dry for better ventilation.
- Remove any covering material from the head to prevent short circuits.
My Recommended: 3 Best Tube Amps
How to Use Amp Tubes Safely Without Getting Hurt?
Your enthusiasm for music won’t let you calm despite knowing how dangerous the amp tubes are. Nevertheless, amp tubes are as safe as other musical instruments when handled with care.
Below mentioned are some safety tips for amp tubes;
|Touching||Never touch the amp tubes while playing or making music. If needed, wear gloves, then touch.|
|Ventilation||Covering the tubes with a cloth will block the ventilation and increase the chances of over-heating and bursting. Let the head cool at room temperature with proper ventilation.|
|Disassembling||Never try to disassemble the tube if you don’t know how to. The capacitor’s current can shock you badly. Better if you perform this task under superior consultancy.|
|Position||Use the amp tubes face down. Using them on the side will block the airflow and built-up heat.|
How Long Do the Amp Tubes Last?
Nothing is designed to last forever. Yet when using amp tubes carefully and taking care of the maintenance, the tube amps will be durable in performance.
Typically, tube amps have an average lifespan of 500-800 hours. The life span will stay the same, whether you use them continuously or at intervals.
Nevertheless, few changes can decrease the average lifespan. Read the following to increase the lifespan of tube amps;
- First, switch on the standby mode, then the main power. Now let the tubes warm up. Once reach a specific temperature, switch off the standby mode, then bring them into use.
- Do not put any liquid near the tube amps as a spill is waiting for a disaster to happen.
- Always put in order high-quality cables with the amp tubes.
- Ensure the amplifier you use with the amp tubes has correct impedance in correspondence with the cabinet.
- Avoid shifting the amp tubes when using. The tube body is weak when being hot. Little disturbance can break them effortlessly.
- No need to shift the tube amps to standby mode when shutting off- a simple shut-off is good to go.
- Store the amp tubes in a cool and dry place when not used. Hamid can internally break the tubes under your nose.
- Keep cleaning the tubes and do not let debris accumulate on the tubes. Clog tubes will produce an unpleasant smell.
Why Do Amp Tubes Smell When They Glow?
You are not alone in getting worried about the smell of the tube amps when they glow up. Well, no need to worry because this is common.
Dust particles circulating in the air accumulate on the tubes. Whenever the tube gets heated up, the debris produces an unpleasant smell. Nonetheless, be alert when the scent gets severe.
If you sense the smell gets unbearable, like burning plastic or cable, immediately unplug the tube amps.
Do not be scared around the tube amps. Consider them one of your home appliances around which you feel safe but can zap you- little did you know.
Are tube amps dangerous? We have already ended the confusion! If the device is new to you, consider having professional consultancy instead of trying things at your end. Also, ensure to apply the safety tips to play safely around the tube amps.