There are a lot of different guitar picks out there made from all sorts of materials. But when it comes to the best picks, there’s just something about the ones made from wood. They have a certain natural feel to them that just can’t be replicated by any other material.
So in this blog post, we’re going to be taking a look at some of the best wooden guitar picks out there. We’ll be discussing their different features and what makes them stand out from the crowd. So if you’re in the market for a new pick, or just want to learn more about them, then read on!
In a hurry? Why not check our top 3 picks?
- Clayton Picks Exotic DWS/3 Guitar Picks
- US Blues P3-TWRS Tone Woods Indian Rosewood Guitar Picks
- Ember Woods 7 Pack Handcrafted and Engraved Guitar Picks
The History of Wooden Guitar Picks
Guitar picks are one of the most essential pieces of equipment for a guitarist, yet their history is often overlooked. Though picks come in all shapes and sizes, the vast majority are made from wood. In this article, we’ll take a look at the history of the wooden guitar pick, from its humble beginnings to its current status as a essential tool for guitarists of all genres.
The first known use of a guitar pick can be traced back to the early 1800s, when a young man named Aaron Osmond was living in England. Osmond was a skilled guitarist, and he quickly became popular for his unique style of playing. One day, while playing a show, Osmond’s pick broke in half. In a moment of innovation, he grabbed a nearby piece of wood and used it to finish his set.
This new style of playing caught on, and soon other guitarists were using picks made from all sorts of materials, including bone, ivory, and tortoise shell. However, wood quickly became the preferred material, as it was more durable and produced a clearer sound.
The first mass-produced wooden picks were made in the early 1900s by a company called D’Andrea. These picks quickly became the standard for guitarists, and they remain one of the most popular brands to this day.
Wooden guitar picks are now an essential part of any guitarist’s toolkit. They come in all shapes and sizes, and each one has its own unique sound. Whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned pro, a wooden pick is a great way to add a new dimension to your playing.
The Top 10 Wooden Guitar Picks
1. Clayton Picks Exotic DWS/3 Guitar Picks
If you’re looking for a pick that will help you create a warm tone and be easy on your strings, you need a Clayton Pick. These picks are made of beautiful, solid teak wood and have tapered edges that allow for a swift release. You’ll get three picks per package.
- These picks are made from a material that is designed to provide a good grip and increased control while you’re playing.
- The pointed tip of the pick allows for greater precision when picking individual strings.
- The small size of the pick makes it easier to maneuver between strings.
- Some players may prefer a softer material.
2. US Blues P3-TWRS Tone Woods Indian Rosewood Guitar Picks
Looking for a pick with amazing tone and grip? Check out our US Blues P3-TWRS Tone Woods Indian Rosewood Guitar Picks! These picks are made from sustainably sourced Indian Rosewood, and are suitable for both acoustic and acoustic electric guitar. With their medium brown color and honey streaks, these picks are sure to stand out.
- They have a very smooth surface, which makes them great for strumming and picking.
- They have a nice weight to them, which gives them a good feel in the hand.
- They produce a very clear and articulate sound.
- They are a bit on the expensive side.
- They may be too smooth for some people’s liking.
3. Ember Woods 7 Pack Handcrafted and Engraved Guitar Picks
Ember Woods has done it again with their latest line of guitar picks! These picks are made with a solid grip design that won’t slip during heavy riffs. The beautiful natural sandalwood gives these picks a stunning look, and the 7 picks included with the gift pick holder make it the perfect gift for any guitar player.
- The picks are handcrafted from high-quality woods.
- Each pick is engraved with a unique design.
- Ember Woods offers a satisfaction guarantee.
- The picks are a bit pricey.
4. Yeshone 10 Pieces Exotic Wood Guitar Picks
Yeshone 10 Pieces Exotic Wood Guitar Picks, 1 Guitar Picks Box Wooden Guitar Plectrums in African Red Sandalwood Chacate Preto Olive Wood Rosewood Maple Ebony Golden Sandalwood for Archtop Guitar
$18.99 in stock
Looking for a unique and stylish way to show off your personality as a musician? Look no further than the Yeshone 10 Pieces Exotic Wood Guitar Picks set!
This set includes 10 different picks, each made from a different type of wood. There’s an African red sandalwood guitar pick, a chacate preto guitar pick, a golden sandalwood guitar pick, and an olive wood guitar pick, among others.
The picks are all different sizes and thicknesses, so you can find the perfect one for your playing style. The box they come in is also perfect for storing your picks when you’re not using them.
- The picks are made of high-quality materials.
- The picks are very durable and will last a long time.
- The picks have a great grip and are very comfortable to hold.
- The picks are available in a variety of colors, so you can find the perfect pick for your style.
- The picks are a bit on the expensive side.
- The picks may be too thick for some guitarists.
5. Alnicov 3 Pcs Wooden Guitar Picks
Introducing the Alnicov 3 Pcs Wooden Guitar Picks! These picks are made of durable olive wood with a beautiful polished finish. They are standard-shaped, making them ideal for both novice and pro guitarists. These picks produce some very different sounds due to their long life and matte surface.
- They offer a warm, natural sound.
- They’re more durable than plastic picks.
- They provide a better grip.
- They’re eco-friendly.
- They look great!
- They’re more expensive than plastic picks.
- They’re not as loud as plastic picks.
6. PICKMANN Classic 351 Exotic Sampler Guitar Picks
PICKMANN Classic 351 Exotic Sampler Guitar Picks Plectrums Value Pack for Acoustic/Electric Guitar Made from Palmwood, Coconut, Bone, Ebony, Horn, Tamarind & Haldu
$9.99 in stock
Looking for a way to add some variety to your guitar playing? Check out our value pack of PICKMANN Classic 351 Exotic Sampler Guitar Picks! This pack includes 7 durable and exotic picks made from palmwood, coconut, bone, ebony, horn, tamarind, and haldu. These picks are designed to give you a wide variety of tones originating from different materials.
They’re also eco-friendly, made from 100% recycled, bio-degradable, and highly sustainable materials. And with our classic 351 shape, you’ll get an amazing sound and grip.
Each pick’s length is 31mm, middle width 25mm, and thickness is 3.2mm. They’re also handcrafted and designed in India by skilled professionals.
- Includes a variety of different materials.
- All picks are made from high-quality materials.
- Value pack offers a great price for the number of picks included.
- May be too many picks for some guitarists.
- Not all picks will work well with all guitars.
- Some guitarists may prefer picks of a single material.
7. Timber Tones P4-Acoustic Acoustic Sampler Guitar Picks
Timber Tones P4-Acoustic Acoustic Sampler Guitar Picks are the perfect way to try out a variety of different pick thicknesses on your acoustic guitar. This set includes four picks in medium thickness, each with a different wood grain design. They’re made from high-quality materials and are durable enough to withstand heavy use.
- The picks are made from a durable celluloid material that produces a warm, rich tone.
- The picks are available in a variety of thicknesses to suit your playing style.
- The picks have a pointed tip that’s great for strumming and picking.
- The picks are only available in one color.
- The picks are a bit more expensive than some other brands.
8. Stickpick | Set of 7 Flexible Guitar Picks Made of Real Wood
Stickpick | Set of 7 flexible guitar picks made of real wood | For electric, acoustic and bass guitars in various strengths | In high quality aluminum can | Sustainably manufactured | Made in Germany
$9.90 in stock
If you want to take your guitar playing to the next level, you need the right tools. Stickpick is a set of 7 flexible guitar picks made of real wood, perfect for electric, acoustic, and bass guitars. The picks are available in various strengths, so you can find the perfect one for your playing style.
Plus, they come in a handy aluminum can, so you can keep them organized and protected. And because they’re sustainably manufactured in Germany, you can feel good about using them.
- Made of real wood, so they have a nice natural feel.
- Flexible, so they’re easy to grip and won’t slip out of your hand.
- Available in various strengths for electric, acoustic, and bass guitars.
- Comes in a high-quality aluminum can.
- Sustainably manufactured.
- Made in Germany.
- They might not be the best choice for beginners.
9. Boao Guitar Pick Box Holder with 3 Pcs Wooden Guitar Picks
Boao Guitar Pick Box Holder with 3 Pcs Wooden Guitar Picks, Wooden Collector Engraved Guitar Pick Box Classical Triangle Guitar Picks for Present Music Instrument Guitar Bass
If you are a guitar lover, or you know someone who is, then this is the perfect gift! It is a complete set of wooden guitar picks and a case with good texture. The inside of the guitar pick collector is designed with 3 grooves, which is suitable for putting 3 pieces of paddles, so that your paddles will not collide with each other.
The size and weight of the whole set are relatively light, which will not bring you a big burden and portable to carry. The appearance of the guitar pick storage box is in the shape of the guitar; The surface of the box is carved with guitar strings, making the overall shape more like a miniature version of the guitar.
- Comes with 3 wooden guitar picks, which are Engraved with classical triangle design.
- The picks are made of durable wood, which makes them ideal for long-term use.
- The pick box holder is also made of wood, giving it a classic look and feel.
- The box holder is lightweight and portable, making it easy to take with you on the go.
- The box holder has a secure lid, ensuring that your picks will stay safe and sound inside.
- The box holder is not large enough to accommodate more than 3 picks, so if you have a lot of picks, you may need to purchase multiple holders
10. Perseveres Hand-made 5 wood guitar picks
Hand-made 5 wood guitar picks ， unique chinese style exotic guitar pick，ukulele picks, bass ，classic ，jazz, acoustic guitar pick 2.0/2.5/3.0 mm personalized picks
This is a high quality, Chinese style solid wood guitar pick that can be used to play bass guitar or ukulele. There are five pieces of guitar picks in a box, each with a different word engraved on it.
They are made of five different kinds of wood, making them both beautiful and durable. The thickness of the picks is random, but they are all medium thickness. The guitar picks are strong and durable, and can be maintained with wood wax. They are also a good gift for friends.
- The unique wood grain pattern on each pick makes for a truly one-of-a-kind look.
- Handmade wooden picks provide a warm, natural tone that can add a bit of extra flavor to your playing.
- Because they’re not mass-produced, you can be sure that your purchase supports a small business and helps to keep traditional craftsmanship alive.
- Handmade wooden picks can be more expensive than mass-produced options.
- Because each pick is unique, it can be difficult to find a set that match in terms of size and shape.
The Benefits of Wooden Guitar Picks
Wooden guitar picks have been around for centuries, and for good reason. They offer a number of benefits that other materials simply can’t match. Here are just a few of the reasons why you should consider using wooden guitar picks:
1. They’re More Durable
Wooden picks are more resistant to wear and tear than their plastic counterparts. This means they’ll last longer and won’t break as easily.
2. They Have a Better Grip
The natural texture of wood provides a better grip than smooth plastic. This can help you maintain a better grip on the pick, especially when your hands are sweaty.
3. They Sound Better
Wooden picks produce a warmer, richer sound than plastic picks. This is because the wood vibrates more readily than plastic, resulting in a fuller, more resonant sound.
4. They’re More Comfortable
Wooden picks are usually smoother and more rounded than plastic picks. This makes them more comfortable to hold and less likely to cause hand fatigue.
5. They’re More Eco-Friendly
Wooden picks are made from a renewable resource, meaning they’re more environmentally friendly than plastic picks.
So, if you’re looking for a more durable, comfortable, and eco-friendly pick, then wooden guitar picks are the way to go. Give them a try today and see for yourself how they can improve your playing!
Are Wooden Guitar Picks Expensive?
Wooden guitar picks are not expensive. In fact, they are quite affordable, especially when compared to other types of guitar picks. wooden picks are made from a variety of different woods, including maple, birch, and cherry. They are also available in a variety of different sizes, shapes, and thicknesses.
So, why are wooden guitar picks not expensive? Well, there are a few reasons. First, the manufacturing process is relatively simple. Second, the materials used to make wooden picks are relatively inexpensive. And third, wooden picks are not as popular as other types of guitar picks, so there is not as much demand for them.
That being said, there are still some people who prefer wooden guitar picks over other types of picks. The main reason for this is that wooden picks provide a warmer, more natural sound. They also have a tendency to grip the strings better, which can help to prevent string breakage.
So, if you are looking for a warm, natural sound, or if you are concerned about string breakage, then wooden guitar picks may be the right choice for you. However, if you are just looking for the cheapest guitar picks available, then you may want to consider other options.
How to Choose the Best Wooden Guitar Picks
When it comes to playing the guitar, having the best gear is essential to sounding your best. This includes having the best guitar picks. While there are many different types and materials of guitar picks available on the market, wooden guitar picks are a great option for many players.
There are many different factors to consider when choosing the best wooden guitar picks for your needs.
The thickness of the pick is one important factor. Picks come in a variety of thicknesses, from thin to thick. The thicker the pick, the more mass it has, and the more mass it has, the more force is required to hold it down on the strings.
2. Type of Wood
The type of wood the pick is made from is also important. Different woods have different tonal qualities. For example, a pick made from a soft wood like cedar will have a mellower sound, while a pick made from a hard wood like maple will have a brighter sound.
3. Type of Finish
The type of finish on the pick is also important. A pick with a glossy finish will slide off the strings more easily, while a pick with a matte finish will grip the strings more.
4. Size of the Pick
Finally, the size of the pick is also important. Picks come in a variety of sizes, from small to large. The size of the pick you need will depend on the size of your fingers and the type of guitar you are playing.
Tips for Using Wooden Guitar Picks
Wooden guitar picks are a great alternative to the standard plastic ones. They offer a warmer sound and are more comfortable to hold. Here are a few tips for using wooden guitar picks:
1. Before using a wooden guitar pick, sand the edges smooth. This will help prevent the pick from slipping out of your hand and also help protect your strings from being scratched.
2. To get the best sound from your wooden guitar pick, hold it firmly but not too tightly. You want the pick to be able to vibrate freely.
3. Experiment with different picking techniques. You may find that you get a better sound by using a different angle or picking lightly instead of downstrokes.
4. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different woods. Different woods will produce different sounds. Try a few different types of wood to see which one you like the best.
5. Store your wooden guitar picks in a safe place. They can be easily damaged if they are left out in the open or in a humid environment.
Wooden guitar picks are a great way to add a different sound to your playing. With a little bit of care, they can last a long time. Follow these tips and you’ll be able to get the most out of your wooden guitar picks.
How to Customize Your Wooden Guitar Picks
Customizing your own wooden guitar picks is a great way to add a personal touch to your playing. There are a few different ways you can go about doing this, and the best way will depend on your own personal style and preferences. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Start with a blank pick. You can find these at most music stores, or online.
- Decide what design you want to carve into the pick. This can be anything from a simple pattern to a detailed image.
- If you’re not comfortable freehanding the design, you can use a stencil.
- Once you have your design, use a sharp knife or carving tool to etch it into the pick.
- If you want, you can stain or paint the pick to add another layer of personalization.
Customizing your own guitar picks is a great way to add a personal touch to your playing. By following the steps above, you can create picks that are truly unique to you. So get creative and have fun!
How to Care for Your Wooden Guitar Picks
If you’re a guitar player, you know that having a good pick is essential to creating the perfect sound. But what you may not know is that how you care for your pick can make a big difference in its lifespan and the quality of sound it produces. Here are a few tips on how to care for your wooden guitar picks:
1. Don’t expose them to extreme temperatures. This means keeping them out of direct sunlight and away from heat sources like radiators. Extreme temperatures can cause the wood to warp and the picks to lose their shape.
2. Keep them clean. Wipe down your picks after each use with a clean, dry cloth. This will remove any dirt, grime, or sweat that can build up on the wood and cause it to deteriorate.
3. Store them properly. When you’re not using your picks, store them in a dry, cool place. An airtight container is ideal. This will protect them from moisture, which can cause the wood to swell and warp.
4. Don’t use them on rough surfaces. Playing your guitar on a rough surface can wear down the wood and cause the picks to lose their shape. If you must play on a rough surface, use a pickguard to protect your picks.
5. Inspect them regularly. Inspect your picks regularly for signs of wear and tear. If you notice any damage, replace the picks immediately.
Following these simple tips will help you get the most out of your wooden guitar picks and keep them sounding great for years to come.
If you are looking for a guitar pick that will give you the best sound, then you should definitely consider wooden guitar picks. They are known for their ability to produce a warm, round sound that is perfect for any genre of music. In addition, wooden picks are also very durable and will last longer than other types of picks.